Buffalo County
Marriage License

Requirements for a marriage license issued by Buffalo County
Certified copy of a Buffalo County marriage license
Changing the bride's name after the wedding

Requirements for a marriage license issued by Buffalo County

  1. Both applicants must appear together at the Clerk's office between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays.
  2. Applicants must be at least 17 years of age to be married in the state of Nebraska. Parental consent is required for applicants who are 17 or 18 years of age. The parental consent forms are available at the Clerk's office.
  3. The fee for a marriage license is $15.00, CASH ONLY.  (Click ATM locations in the courthouse.)
  4. Both applicants must present a current government-issued photo ID. All documents will be in English or translated by a certified court translator. Proof of citizenship or immigration status is neither relevant or required. Examples include:
    • Valid driver's license from any U.S. state
    • Nebraska ID card
    • U.S. Passport
    • U.S. Military card
    • Foreign passport
  5. Information needed:
    • Birthplaces of bride and groom
    • Full names and birthplaces of parents
    • If a social security number has been issued to the applicants, that information is needed. The issuance of a social security number to either applicant is not required to obtain a Marriage License.
    • If there were any previous marriages we will need to know how they ended (divorce, annulment or death) and the date the divorce was final or the date of death. If there is a previous divorce, a new license will not be issued and you cannot remarry until at least six (6) months and one (1) day have passed from the date the Decree was signed by the judge and filed with District Court.
 The Marriage License is good for one year from the date of issuance and can be used in any County in Nebraska.

All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.

For information about scheduling the Buffalo County Court Magistrate to conduct a marriage ceremony, contact Jan Haeker at jan.haeker@nebraska.gov or 308-236-1229. 

Return to top

wedding rings

Certified copy of a Buffalo County marriage license

To receive a Buffalo County certified marriage license, send a $5.00 money order and the following information:
  • Name of groom
  • Name of bride (including maiden name)
  • Date of marriage (Must be issued from Buffalo County)
Mail to:
Buffalo County Clerk
PO Box 1270
Kearney, NE 68848-1270

Return to top


Changing the bride's name after the wedding

This is a personal decision. You may choose to keep your name but if you decide to change your name legally, you should do the paperwork as soon as possible after you're married (or after your honeymoon). The following is a list of what may need to be updated. Many entities will require you to present a certified copy of your marriage license as proof of legal status to make your name change.
  • Social Security Card
  • Bank, credit union, and investment accounts
  • Vehicle registration
  • Driver's license
  • Mortgage
  • Homeowner's insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Medical and dental records
  • Credit cards and files
  • Deeds and property titles
  • Passport
  • Voter registration
  • IRS forms
  • Church records
  • Mail and newspaper subscriptions
  • Employer/payroll
  • Post office
  • Your attorney (to update legal documents, will)
Return to top


This article tagged as: