Under the general supervision of the Buffalo County Board of Commissioners, the Public Works Director will plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities, projects, and operations of the Public Works Department including Road and Bridge, Weed Control, and Planning and Zoning. This position requires considerable responsibility and independent judgment. Applicants must complete a standard application, CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION. Applicants must also submit a resume and cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be considered. CLICK HERE for a the full job description.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- At least 3 years of responsible experience in county or city government in areas of administration, public works, public works management, construction or a related field. Experience must include development and implementation of strategic long range plans, operations and capital improvement budgeting, developing goals, evaluating performance, and holding others accountable for results.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Preferred) in Public Administration, Business Administration, or other closely related field.
- Preferred high level professional experience in public administration.
- Preferred knowledge of FEMA and NFIP rules and regulations, flood control, drainage construction, and weed construction.
- Preferred experience working with the Army Corps of Engineers.
- Prefer applicant/employee to live within 30 miles of Buffalo County.
· Licensed to operate a motor vehicle, CDL license with proper endorsements in the State of Nebraska and a licensed land surveyor in the State of Nebraska or the ability to obtain a Nebraska Surveyor’s License or Nebraska Professional Engineers License at the next available testing date.
· Applicants must be able to comply with all physical requirements by the position and must pass a detailed background check.
· This position is an exempt position
· Salary contingent upon qualifications
· Please submit salary requirement with your application
· Comprehensive benefit package including retirement
Please submit complete application, resume, and cover letter to:
1512 Central Ave
PO Box 1270
Kearney, NE 68848
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 23, 2016.
Finalists will be interviewed during a public meeting of the Buffalo County Public Works Committee of the Board of Commissioners and employment will be subject to approval by the County Board of Commissioners.