The Traffic Division of the Buffalo County Attorney’s Office prosecutes all violations of the Nebraska Rules of the Road, including driving under the influence and speeding, game and parks violations, and more.
Additionally, the Division enforces selected provisions of the Kearney City Code that pertain to traffic and advises law enforcement on traffic issues.
Find information on Nebraska’s Point System for drivers licenses.
Do you have a Buffalo County traffic citation? You have these options:
- Contest the citation. Personally appear in the Buffalo County Court on the date and time given on your citation and invoke your right to trial. See the rights you have as an accused person.
- Pay the citation by waiver. Pay the fines and costs no later than your court date without appearing in court. This can be done online. Waiver fines are set by the Nebraska Supreme Court for those who wish simply to pay their ticket without going to court over it. For more information, view the Nebraska Supreme Court Waiver Fine List .
- Inquire about the STOP class. The Safety Training Option Program (STOP) class is offered by the Nebraska Safety Center to individuals who have been ticketed for committing a minor traffic violation. It takes four hours to complete. It is voluntary. By completing it, the violator pays no fine, has no court appearance, has no points assessed on their driving record, and can improve their driving skills.
The Nebraska Safety Center offers this program across the State. For more information or to register, call the Safety Center at (800) 854-7867 ext. 1 or register online at www.unk.edu/stop.
Classes are held the first Sunday of the month from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; the third Saturday of the month from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.; and the fourth Monday of the month from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Holiday times may vary.
All classes are held at:University of Nebraska at Kearney
Kearney, NE 68849
YOU MUST REGISTER FOR STOP WITHIN FIVE BUSINESS DAYS OF THE OFFENSE, AND COMPLETE THE CLASS WITHIN 21 DAYS OF THE OFFENSE.
You are not eligible for the STOP class if your citation is for:
Also, you are not eligible for the STOP class if:
- Speeding twenty (20) or miles per hour over the speed limit.
- Leaving the scene of an accident.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Reckless driving or willful reckless driving.
- Participating in a speed contest, race, or exhibition of acceleration.
- Operating a motor vehicle to avoid arrest.
- Driving on a suspended or revoked operator’s license.
- Operating a motor vehicle without insurance or proof of financial responsibility.
- Any injury accident or violation which is classified as a misdemeanor or a felony.
Meeting these eligibility requirements is the responsibility of the participant.
- You hold a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), even if you were cited while operating a non-commercial vehicle.
- You have participated in any STOP class within the last three (3) years.
- You wish to contest your citation.
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Call the Nebraska Safety Center at (800) 854-7867 ext. 1, or visit their website, www.unk.edu/stop, for more information.
- Download the registration form.